Monday, February 11, 2008

The Reference


"Look up, look wa-a-ay up."

This is from an old CBC children's show called The Friendly Giant. I loved this show when I was a kid. Even more than I loved Mr. Dress-up,* with Casey and Finnegan.

When you looked up, there was the giant with Rusty the rooster in a sack hanging on the wall and Jerome the giraffe sticking his head in the castle window. I still remember throwing a tantrum at the Calgary Zoo when the giraffes would not respond to me. It was a turning point in my life when the realities of anthropomorphism came crashing down around me. So much so that I when I finally got Sophie, many years later, I knew she would never work for the CBC.

_____




*I watched Mr. Dress-up in the 70s, but in the 90s, there was alleged speculation that Casey and Finnegan may have been gay lovers, even though there was never reference to the gender of either, they were a person and a dog, and they were puppets. Whatever the case, I don't believe that watching Mr. Dress-up f*^*ed me up any more than Happy Days, Starsky & Hutch, and the Solid Gold Dancers.